Application for 2013 Grants from TANITA Healthy Weight Community Trust
The goal of the TANITA Healthy Weight Community Trust is to increase human welfare by promoting scientific study and practical educational activities aimed at the elimination of obesity and the promotion of optimal weight.
Individuals, study groups, universities, graduate schools or research institutions anywhere in the world carrying out research on the elimination of obesity and maintenance of optimal weight/body composition, and individuals or organizations carrying out practical educational activities in support of these objectives.
Target Projecs for Grant Recipients for 2013
Research Grants: Study concerning the elimination of obesity and the maintenance of optimal weight/body composition. Activities Grants: Practical educational activities aimed at the elimination of obesity and maintenance of optimal weight/body composition.
Monetary Value and Period of Grants
• For 2013, the total grant money available is 6,000,000 Japanese yen (Approx. US$65,000). Since the grant money will be divided between six to eight persons or groups that are awarded Research Grants or Activities Grants, each project will receive a grant between 500,000 and 1,000,000 Japanese yen.
• In principle, the term of each grant is ten months, beginning the day the subsidy is awarded.
• If continued subsidization is desired, the applicant(s) must submit a new application form every year for review by the selection committee.
Use of Grants
The grants are to be used for necessary expenses for studies or practical educational activities aimed at the elimination of obesity and maintenance of optimal body weight/body composition (The expenses can include equipment and consumable costs, traveling expenses and honoraria.)
Grant recipients must submit reports on the progress/results of projects and on the use of grant money within two months of the completion of the grant subsidy period.
〈 Criteria 〉
(1) Projects that have the potential to receive high academic valuation
(2) Projects with powerful social influence due to a strong social demand or high potential for wide dissemination
(3) Projects that are not normally highly appraised, but which are based on social foresight
〈 Method 〉
Fair review and selection by a committee of academic experts.
〈 Period 〉
Fill in and send the online application form for Research or Activities Grants (www.tanita-grant.com/jp/gaiyou.html).
Deadline for applications: Applications must be submitted by the end of June 2013.
Announcement of recipients: End of September 2013 (to recipients).
Delivery of grant subsidies: October/November 2013.
(1) We cannot respond to inquiries on why specific applications were accepted or rejected.
(2) Applications will not be used for any purpose other than the selection process.
(3) Applications may not be made for projects intended to generate profits or which have already been completed.
(4) All research projects included in an application must have received prior approval from an Ethics Committee.
(5) Unless there are extenuating circumstances, items on the application (title, researchers, purpose, method, etc.) may not be changed.
(6) The names of recipients will be released in list form and with descriptions to the mass media and on the TANITA website.
Personal information included in grant applications will not be used for any purpose other than that required for grant processing, such as notification of the applicant.